- I was born in Athens, Georgia on June 3, 1955, the son of Jean Allgood Merck, and John William Merck.
- Graduated T. C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Virginia in May, 1973
- Entered Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio in September, 1973.
- Attended the School of Advanced International Studies of Johns Hopkins University in Washington, DC in the Summer of 1975.
- Received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Oberlin in May of 1977.
- During the following years, I found a practical application for knowledge of international area studies working in a variety of capacities for the foreign exchange and investment firm of Deak International (Now Thomas Cook).
- Attended the the University of Maryland University College, Maryland, from the summer of 1987 to the autumn of 1989.
- Attended George Mason University, in Fairfax, Virginia, during the spring of 1990,.
- Entered the Graduate School of The University of Texas in Austin in August 1990 .
- Received my Ph.D. in December of 1997.
- Became Assistant Director of the Earth, Life, and Time program of College Park Scholars at the University of Maryland, College Park in July, 1999. In January, 2000 I was made Associate Director.
- Appointed lecturer in the Geology Department of the University of Maryland, College Park in July, 2001.
That's the synopsis of my life to date. If you want to know about the details: my angst, emotional upheavals, epiphanies, loves and hates, you can start by buying me a beer.
Return to top.