Admission to the Program will be by invitation of the Honors Committee, normally at the end of the sophomore year and normally will be extended to students with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better and a GPA of 3.0 or better in all courses required for the major.
Graduation with Honors normally requires completion of the curriculum, a GPA of 3.5 or better in GEOL 393H and GEOL 394H, and maintenance of a 3.0 overall GPA and a GPA of 3.0 or better in all courses required for the major. Maintenance of a GPA of 3.5 or above and a grade of A in both GEOL 393H and GEOL 394H will earn the distinction of Graduation with High Honor.
The Honors Program Curriculum
The curriculum for Honors in Geology follows the University Honors Program Track I: Thesis Option with a 15 credit minimum.
- The requirement for upper division Honors courses will be met by a minimum of 9 hours as follows:
- GEOL 489H Recent Advances in Geology (3 credit hours), and
- 6 credit hours from the following:
- a 3 credit hour graduate-level course approved by the Departmental Honors Committee,
- Honors Option project in a three or four credit hour upper-level course from the offerings in the Geology Department. The Honors Option Proposal must be approved by the Departmental Honors Committee, the professor teaching the course and the University Honors Program. A proposal must be approved by the Department and submitted to the University Honors Program by the 10th day of class in the semester in which the course will be taken and the project completed.
- The research and thesis requirement will be met by completion of GEOL 393H and GEOL 394H with a GPA of 3.5 or better (6 credit hours).