Geology & ENSP-EGR Advising appointments - Fall 2016
Welcome to Merck's advising schedule web page. Advising season for Fall 2016 is well upon us. We will follow the procedure that served us well in previous semesters, however this semester, there will be a big difference (see below). First, the procedure:
Schedule an appointment
Fall advising will begin on Wednesday, October 18. My hours currently open for scheduling appointments are indicated in the diagrams below. To schedule an appointment:
- Pick three appropriate times (half-hour blocks)
- Rank them in order of preference
- Send me an e-mail with your ranked list.
- Be sure to allow me at least 24 hours to respond. I.e, don't send me a message suggesting a meeting the following day. (Being old-school, I don't typically allow e-mail to follow me around when I leave work.)
- As a courtesy to others, please give people with registration dates in the near future first shot at the early dates. SO, please don't ask for an advising appointment more than two weeks ahead of your registration date.
I'll respond by e-mail to confirm with you. I'll also update these schedules as frequently as possible (hopefully daily) so you can see what's still open. Don't assume you have an appointment until you get my e-mail confirmation.
THE NEW STUFFMajor changes in the Geology undergraduate major became effective as of Fall 2016. These include:
- The significant transformation of the Geology Professional Track major. These changes are intended to facilitate access to the full range or our elective curriculum and increase flexibility.
- The minor changes to the Geology secondary Education Track major
- The addition of a new Geology Geophysics Track major
I you have a particular interest in geophysics, please check out the new Geophysics Track. If you consider it advantageous to pursue its requirements, you can change your major to achieve this.
I hope you find these changes as exciting as I do.
Last spring, we received a great deal of feedback from Geology majors who were simultaneously enrolled in GEOL341, GEOL342, and GEOL443, indicating that this course-load was diabolically heavy. Geology has heard your cry and is instituting the following change: Spring 2017 will be the last spring in which GEOL342 - Sedimentation and Stratigraphy - will be taught. Beginning in Fall of 2017, sed/strat will become a Fall course. We recommend that students only enroll in GEOL342 in Spring 2017 if they need it for May graduation.
IN ANY EVENT:
- All appointments will be in the Geology Building room 1119 unless otherwise indicated.
- We need to be absolutely clear about your graduation plan. All Geology and ENSP-EGR majors are, therefore, instructed to download the appropriate curriculum sheet. For each requirement of the major indicate either when it was completed and what grade was earned, or when you expect to complete it. Bring a printed copy to our meeting for my file.
- For your appointment:
- Bring a printout of the plan to your appointment for me to keep.
- Be mindful of CMNS' degree completion benchmarks:
- Geology benchmark 1: Two 3-4 credit major courses including CHEM131/132 or CHEM135/136, and three 3 credit GenEd/CORE courses must be completed before 30 credits from declaration of the geology major. If you were officially listed Geology major, or an ENSP-EGR specialization starting in Spring of 2014, I will be auditing your compliance with this benchmark at the end of this semester.
- Geology benchmark 2: Four 3-4 credit major courses at the 300-400 level, MATH140, and MATH141 must be completed before 60 credits from declaration of the geology major.
If the requirements of your specific program demand that you deviate from these, we will have to document reasons.
I don't mean to be tyrannical, but these requirements represent a major college priority. Therefore, if you don't have a current graduation plan, I will not lift your advising bar.
One important constraint. On most days I'm willing to stay slightly into the evening to facilitate advising. If you're desperate to see me and are only free later than seven, I'm willing to work with you. Thanks.
Click on the link for the schedule: